Sunday, July 02, 2006
preparing for a long flight (part 1)
First things first - and in this case the first thing is a very long flight from Malta to Japan. Actually we'll be stopping at Heathrow London Airport because there is no direct flight to Japan. So that takes around:
Malta - Heathrow flight 3:30hrs
Standby time at Heathrow 4hrs
Heathrow - Narita flight 11:30hrs
A little bit of calculation .. 19hours; of which a good number of them we'll be bored, unless quite well prepared. So I've been stocking up my hardware with good software to fill up my time.
These are some of the things I've done:
- put a few ebooks and scummvm games on my nokia 770
- stock my laptop with freely available software such as Picasa and VMPlayer
- a real life book. You know - in this age of ebooks and so on, real life books still don't need any electricity source. I'll either be carrying "Freakonomics" with me, or Spam Kings as reading material.
- my camera (a trusty canon 300d) will be on me.. just in case.
What's left picking up ?
- sleeping pills! It's the one practical thing that people do when they're so bored - that is sleep. Not that I typically have problems sleeping but these things might come in helpful.
- instructions on what to do once landed.
In the end, I guess sleep will prevail.