Thursday, July 06, 2006

gairaigo - borrowing words

While I've been trying to pick up words in japanese, I've also been noticing how many english words somehow end up as part of the japanese language. The name for these words is gairaigo - meaning "borrowed word". Here are some of the funnier sounding gairaigo:

Notice any others which sound funny? A nice list can be found on wikipedia.
You know that you've been on that wikipedia page for long enough, when people start giving you weird looks as you try to pronounce some of those words ;-)

Comments:
Can I ask you how often gairaigo is used in Japan? How much times per day? Could you give me a rough estimate- 10, 100, or 1000? Email me at michael20051994@yahoo.com. I'd appreciate it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?